24/02/2017

January favourites

Photo


The first month of the year, the first day of the month I had to do something I love. I had to do something connected to water. So I went swimming. Despite the air temperature being only 17 °C and water even less, I had to go to the sea. Well, I assure you, my screaming was very real.





Activity


What was I doing in January? Playing guitar! My flatmate left it home when he moved away so I decided to pick it up and try to make some use of it. I believe being able to play an instrument is always great, and even better if it's a guitar. It's easy to carry around (unlike piano I used to play as a child), sounds beautiful and always makes every camping 200% better! But I  wasn't really dedicated to it, so the progress will be slow. Yet, it's a beginning, right?

Movie


What was I watching this month? The Shallows. A movie of summer, sea, surfing and a with great actress, Blake Lively. The movie was exactly what I expected it to be, transmitting all the feelings to me. Sharks or not, I want to learn how to surf properly!



Video


It doesn't matter that I'm living abroad. There is always a way to make me want to travel even more. And many times, it's a beautiful video of spectacular places that does the job. Such as this video by Kristen Sarah which promises that "This will motivate you to travel".




Yet another passion of mine are books. I couldn't help myself and included a second video into this list, which I justified by the fact, that it's in czech. In this video Katka talks about various kind of readers - such as people reading the ending first or skipping chapters. It's superfunny and if you like reading, I'm sure you would relate to this video a lot. So if you speak check, watch Zvláštní typy čtenářů.



Book


El mundo amarilloOnce talking about books and other languages than English, my favourite book of the month was a Spanish one (Althoug the English translation is available, too). The book El Mundo Amarillo (The Yellow World) talks about the yellow people in our lives. They are someone who we cross paths with, who is not really a friend/family member, and who somehow changes our life. It's a book full of life lessons and a personal philosophy of the author. But I have to admit that my main reason to read it at the first place was to practice my spanish. And the book definitely served it's purpose to me.

Want to read the description from goodreads? Here it is:

Albert Espinosa never wanted to write a book about surviving cancer, so he didn't. He wrote a book instead about the Yellow World. What is the yellow world? The yellow world is a world that's within everyone's reach, a world the colour of the sun. It is the name of a way of living, of seeing life, of nourishing yourself with the lessons that you learn from good moments as well as bad ones. It is the world that makes you happy, the world you like living in. The yellow world has no rules; it is made of discoveries.

In these 23 Discoveries Albert shows us how to connect daily reality with our most distant dreams. He tells us that 'losses are positive', 'the word "pain" doesn't exist', and 'what you hide the most reveals the most about you'.


Article


Not always do we have time to read a whole book, right? Sometimes a little idea is enough, sometimes a little explanation. My favourite article of the month brings us back to travel, explaining the urge to go on the road over and over again. Read the article Travel is wanting to stay but needing to go on ThoughtCatalog.






No comments:

Post a Comment