09/02/2017

How not to shoot videos in Mijas and not to take photos in Marbella



People usually start doing something new in January because...well, you know. New Year, fresh start, resolutions and all that stuff. But my case was a bit different. I decided to learn how to shoot and cut videos long time ago and only tried in January just because it was the first time I had the opportunity to do so.

So here comes the time when I have a camera which can shoot videos and a computer to edit them. Great. Now I need something to be in the video. I decide to go to Mijas, as it's a little mountain village pretty close to where I live and it's famous for being all white. Should look interesting in pictures and video, right? 


I pack my camera gear and I'm heading to a bus station when the first problem appears. There is a new contruction work on my way, so it takes me a bit more time to reach the bus station. When I arrive there, I only get to see the bus leaving the platform. I missed it. As it's a really tiny village, the next bus leaves in about 4 hours from now - that would be too late.

The question is - where to go now? I go back to the bus station hall and see the timetable of leaving busses. Barcelona - too far. Madrid - not my favourite. Tarife - was there just a week ago. Motril - never heard of. Marbella - that could be it! A little town at the coast, popular by tourists, and it's even on my list of to-go places. With no preparation for the town I buy the ticket. Within an hour, I'm in Marbella.

I get out of the bus station and see there is a mountain behind me and a highway in front of me. I assume the town centre will be by the sea, so I want to cross the highway. I enter the bridge and as I'm standing on top of the highway and all the cars are passing below me, I'm thinking that would be a cool shot. So I get out my camera, put it on video mode and turn it on. Why is the screen black? Did I do something wrong? Is it on a viewfinder mode? No, it's not a wrong mode. It's a missing battery. In all that morning rush I left the camera battery at home in the charger. Awesome. 

Now I'm in a town I don't know nothing about with a heavy backpack full of useless gear on a trip whose only purpose was to get some shots. What an irony, right? In the end it was a good thing that I didn't go to Mijas - there I would have literally nothing to do. In Marbella, I can spend a few hours on the beach before going back to the bus station.

Lessons to take from this story (for me as well as for you):
1) Always check if you have a charged bettery with you.
2) The same for an empty memory card (also happened to me). 

3) Marbella is a lovely town. Go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment